Sunday, July 1, 2007

All Stars?

So John Smoltz and Brian Mccann are All Stars. Yay. We all knew Smoltzie was going, how could he not? Brian had a good chance because of the lack of depth in catching in the NL, it's nice that he got a nod from the players. But I can't help wondering who missed out. So without further ado I offer you my all star list, with a twist. The following is a list of my BRAVES all stars. These three players have made more of a difference to the braves than any other AND they're not getting a nod nationally.

OF: With deference to Matt Diaz I have to give the nod to Willie Harris. The boy is blazing on the base paths and money in the box. His aggressiveness has been the spark the braves need. A few stats realy prove this. First, Willie is hitting .373 overall and .461 in the first 2 pitches he sees. That's something we'd expect from Frenchy (Even though Frenchy never hit that good) not Willie. Second, the OBS .929 is 10th in the NL (w/150 min PA) but his OBP of .444 is second to only Mr. Bonds and his AVG of .373 is first. His SBs are 14th but only 2 back of Jimmy Rollins @ #8. Give me that any day even if he hits much better against lefties (not that he's had a chance against righties with only 15ABs).

IF: With deference to Edgar, I'd have to pick Chipper. He's tops of all the regulars in OPS, AVG, and HRs as well as top 4 in all the other major offensive categories despite missing 25 games so far. That's insane production from someone who's been hurting so much this year.

P: This has to go to Peter Moylan. He's got the best ERA on the staff and the second best WHIP all while racking up the most innings out of the pen. Those numbers are nuts for someone who's a retread.

And there you have it; my picks for Braves All Stars. Scream all you want about leaving Edgar, Diaz, Hudson, and even KJ out but these three are players I'd want on my team (and actually have them on several).

No comments: