Thursday, July 5, 2007

Davies to see Hypnotherapist?

I doubt it, but at this point it couldn't hurt. McDowell thinks the problems are all in kyle's head. Our venerated pitching coach thinks that his mechanics are fine but he's not pitching with confidence. Now I've never pitched in the majors, but I'm pretty sure that confidence doesn't give your fastball lateral movement and your curve another 3 inches of drop like Davies had when he first got to the majors. Yes it helps, but i think there might be another problem. You see, McDowell emphasizes pitch location (as do most major league pitching coaches) and that's fantastic for someone with confidence in his pitches, but Davies has none of that. What's happening now is that Kyle is trying to place his pitches and thus making them hittable almost anywhere he puts them. Think about it, if you had 90 MPH heat and I said "I need you to knock this apple off my head" would you throw at full force? I doubt it. And there in lies our issue. Kyle has been throwing at just below his 100% and not getting the spin on his pitches like he used to because of it.

Now there is a solution, and it's not demotion, it's not being berated by the media and fans, and it's certainly not being taken out back and shot (no matter how much i'd like that after Tuesday's horror show). The solution is relaxation. The pressure of the major leagues is enough, let's get off Kyle's case and see if he improves. As for me, Kyle, I'm sorry. Do i think Buherle should replace you? Right now yes, but I think you do have a future in the major leagues and us giving up on you isn't going to help that. I'm behind you all the way.

There i've said it, won't the rest of you lighten up too?

No comments: